Sunday, February 22, 2009

Easy Beef Enchiladas

This recipe was passed down by Kelli, whose friend had made it for her just after she had her first baby. It has been a regular around our house for some time. I have made a few changes since I got the original recipe.

Easy Beef Enchiladas

-1 1/2 lbs ground beef
-1 small onion, chopped
-1/2 to one package taco seasoning, plus 1/4 cup water (or taco sauce and no water, which is really good in this recipe, but I can't remember how much I used, maybe 1/2 cup?)
-1 can Rotel drained (I use the original rotel and rinse it off with some water so that it's not too spicy for my daughter. I found the mild to be too mild for our taste)
-1 can cream of chicken soup (or cream of mushroom if that's all you have)
-8 oz sour cream
-Corn tortillas
-2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger and onion (sometimes I add a clove of crushed garlic). Drain.

Return to pan and add taco seasoning and rotel. Mix well and heat through.

Scoop a big spoonful into tortilla and roll, placing seam side down on a greased 9X13 pan. Repeat until the pan is full.

Mix the soup and sour cream together, and smear over tortillas. Cover with cheese.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes. Uncover and bake another 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.

This can be made ahead and heated up during the week or to give to a family.

4 comments:

CLHAJNAL said...

YUMMMMY!!! I just had to pop in and blog you back. LOL! What a good blog idea....food!! I am so glad you liked the ladybug invitation. I am just starting some for a wedding. I will share the adventure on my blog.

Carrie

Mary Beth said...

I make this same recipe, but with flour tortillas! It is also in the Hosea's Hope Chest Cookbook - Called Easy Enchiladas. Perhaps the corn tortillas make it gluten free? Post about what types of recipes you want and I can contribute (if I have any you are looking for)!

mamashine said...

Yup, Mary Beth, you're the friend referred to- I've made these for almost six years now, since you brought them to me, and given the recipe to Loni. :)

You're welcome to contribute- I was thinking seven would be good so eventually we could all take a day of the week. I'll add you if you want.

mamashine said...

I am adding my changes here since I just made them for somebody who wants the recipe. :) I mix the rotel in with the sour cream/soup and put it on top, instead of inside. I also put a little cheese inside each one.

I hate the way corn tortillas split apart, so I spread a little shortening on each one, stack them up, and microwave them for a minute. They don't fall apart that way.