Usually I am very careful about Following The Recipe. I don't do well just tossing stuff in a bowl. However, that tends to be how grandmas cook, and since this recipe is hers, I don't have measurements. With something like potato salad though, you can't really mess it up. Just taste it as you go along and make sure it's the way you like it, and you'll be fine.
So. You will need:
- a pot full of potatoes. it depends on how big they are. generally I end up with between 7-9.
- radishes. Yes, I know that's weird. But they're so crunchy and good in this salad! I don't LOVE the flavor, so I only put in around 4 or 5, cut very small.
- dill pickle. Pickles are my friend so I chop way more than most people probably would. I like Claussen best.
- red onion. I go by how the colors look in the bowl, depending on how much of the other ingredients I end up with. 1/2 to 1 onion, I'd say.
- mayo, mustard, salt, and pepper to taste
- hard boiled eggs if you like them. I HATE THEM so I always leave them out. My mom said she puts around 5 in there.
Then put in all the other stuff, chopped very small, and stir in the mayo and mustard. I don't put much mustard- just a big shot from the bottle.
It's better if you make it ahead of time so you can chill it and let the flavors meld, but I never do. We love it too much to wait. :)